Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Question about what to make puppet out of

Question about what to make puppet out of 3 months 1 week ago #409

• Kirsten
Hello fellow animators!

I am in the process of storyboarding an animation that I will be doing for a vacation in June, and would like your opinions on what I should make the puppet our of.

I'm trying to make the puppet Gumby-looking (no clothes;just a figure with a face). The idea of the animation will be the character dancing on the dashboard of my car on my way to California (and also at stops on the way/at various places during the trip) that will be put together to music. What I'd like to know is should I go the DragonSkin approach to make the puppet? If anyone has any suggestions, I'm open to it. The puppets that I've made in the past were... ahem... less than perfect, but I don't need this puppet to be detailed or anything; just a character dancing.

Let me know what you think.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Question about what to make puppet out of 3 months 1 week ago #434

• Marc Spess
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 8
Silicone is a good material. The only issue I'd see is that it is a translucent material, so you might see through it if there is a bright wind shield behind it. If that's the case, any armature inside might be seen. I'm envisioning the Gumby puppet who is thin, but if it's thick enough it shouldn't be a problem. Have you worked with silicone in the past?

Question about what to make puppet out of 2 months 4 weeks ago #450

• Kirsten
I have not worked with silicone before, so that is why I'm asking. I don't want to use clay, because I plan to use the character in several scenes (different locations).

I'll do some more research on it.

Question about what to make puppet out of 2 months 4 weeks ago #451

• Marc Spess
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 8
You might like the Brick in the Yard Mold Supply YouTube channel. They sell silicone and also have a ton of tutorial videos. Especially for silicone molding and casting.

https://www.youtube.com/user/brickintheyard
Time to create page: 0.244 seconds