Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Epoxy v. Super Sculpey

Epoxy v. Super Sculpey 3 months 1 week ago #478

• Erick Horton
  • Thank you received: 3
I am developing a design process based on the craft wire armature detailed in your YouTube video. I am using upholstery foam and RD-407 latex, which were already available to me, instead of clay, which is not available.

My question is in regards to the armature and the use of JB Weld SteelStik plumber's epoxy.

The Steelstik has a limited time frame for application and cost roughly 5 USD for two ounces.

Super Sculpey has an unlimited time frame for application and cost roughly 10-12 USD for one pound.

Is there a specific reason why you use Steelstik instead of Super Sculpey? or, Is there a specific reason why Super Sculpey is not viable for armature construction?

Thank you,
Erick
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Epoxy v. Super Sculpey 3 months 1 week ago #479

• Marc Spess
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 8
Hi Eric, you can use Sculpey - however it is more brittle and less strong than the epoxy putty. It won't work well on shorter arms/legs where a lot of force is applied. Still - it's not bad, and you can even use wire and dowel rods (wooden sticks) to make splints. The splints won't allow the wire to bend where they are applied, so that will work too. It just depends on what you have available. ;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Erick Horton

Epoxy v. Super Sculpey 3 months 6 days ago #482

• Erick Horton
  • Thank you received: 3
Thanks. I am testing methods as I said, and sometimes it is better (cheaper) to ask someone before you invest supplies ;)
Time to create page: 0.179 seconds