Casper - my first stop motion video

1 week 4 days ago
djavh
More
Casper - my first stop motion video #1565
Wow, this was really enjoyable to watch. This is really solid for your first animation. I also think, that the scale 1:6 is too big. I myself animate 1:9 scale clay puppets and find this size to be quite alright. Also, another suggestion would be to animate the eyes, because that would add a lot of life to the puppet's face. I make the eyes from hardening clay, put little holes in the pupils and then move them with the help of a needle.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1 month 1 week ago
Metalmadcat
More
Casper - my first stop motion video #1556

7stomo7 wrote: I just finished my first stop motion video and would like to hear some critisism and suggestions for improvements.
I really had some problems with my puppet with wire armature. Precise movements were very hard to do. So I will definitely make a new puppet for my next project - probably soft clay. Also the scale (1:6) turned out to be difficult. My next puppet will be much smaller. The shadows on the background (sky) should also be avoided. I hope you can give me some suggestions for my further projects.

looking great. keep it up! I loved how you played with your space adding cut-out technique for background resources. That was very clever.

1 month 3 weeks ago
7stomo7
More
Topic Author
Casper - my first stop motion video #1548
Thank you very much for your feedback. I'm sure I can learn a lot about making stop motion videos in this forum. I'll go on and try to implement your tips. Thanks.
The following user(s) said Thank You animateclay

2 months 6 days ago
animateclay
Administrator
Administrator
More
Casper - my first stop motion video #1533
Welcome 7stopmo7. I like your video, it strikes a nice balance of telling a simple story and not being too complicated. You say your puppet is 1:6 scale roughly? That is probably just a little to big. Most puppets are under 9 inches where possible, probably an average of 8 in a lot of cases.

For your first animation it is really good. The timing of the moves could maybe be improved on. I can tell what you were doing with the moon for example where it pops into the sky, stops short and you used some follow through at the end. Only it was a little slow and not snappy like i could tell you were going for. That will come as you get more experience. Maybe next make a follow up video of the same character? Perhaps he needs to cook his food to eat in his camp?

Thanks for posting your first animation!
The following user(s) said Thank You 7stomo7

2 months 6 days ago
7stomo7
More
Topic Author
Casper - my first stop motion video #1532
I just finished my first stop motion video and would like to hear some critisism and suggestions for improvements.
I really had some problems with my puppet with wire armature. Precise movements were very hard to do. So I will definitely make a new puppet for my next project - probably soft clay. Also the scale (1:6) turned out to be difficult. My next puppet will be much smaller. The shadows on the background (sky) should also be avoided. I hope you can give me some suggestions for my further projects.

Time to create page: 0.133 seconds