3-D Printers for Puppets?

8 years 3 weeks ago
kungfudork
More
3-D Printers for Puppets? #592
Thanks Marc! I used PAX paint, which is just 1 to 1 mix of Acrylic paint and Pros-Aid adhesive. Someone suggested painting the inside of the mold with liquid latex first, then pour in the gel-foam and it could make the arm more durable.
To be honest if an arm lasts through a couple shoots and i need to replace, that's ok by me....it doesn't take much time at all to make another.
The following user(s) said Thank You animateclay

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

8 years 3 weeks ago
animateclay
Administrator
Administrator
More
Topic Author
3-D Printers for Puppets? #591
Looking good to me! What kind of paint did you use? It seems to stick really well to the silicone.

8 years 3 weeks ago
kungfudork
More
3-D Printers for Puppets? #590
painted the arm and did a quick animation test.....overall i think it's a success, and these arms look 100 times better than my first short...haha

8 years 3 weeks ago
kungfudork
More
3-D Printers for Puppets? #589
I cast my first puppet arm in a 3d printed mold today! I used an armature I had made before the mold and tried to make it work, it did pretty much. Next I will make my armature based on my mold. I also found that my pinky finger is way to long...haha. So i will fix that and print the molds again.
I used a q-tip dipped in Acetone to smooth the inside of the mold. I only spent a few minutes on it. I think the results are good enough, there are some slight lines on the finished arm, but I think a layer of paint will hide it well.
I cast with MUD gel-foam. It came out of the mold very easily....and it only takes 30 minutes to finish. NO baking.

The following user(s) said Thank You jazzimation

8 years 4 weeks ago
kungfudork
More
3-D Printers for Puppets? #582
Thanks! Haha, yeah i'm ready to try the acetone vapor! With the print times so low I feel like I can experiment with different processes to get what I want. I will post the acetone results soon. I am painting the other head after just rubbing on acetone with a qtip to see how it turns out. I'll put this head in the vapor and see how that goes.

8 years 4 weeks ago
animateclay
Administrator
Administrator
More
Topic Author
3-D Printers for Puppets? #581
Very nice! Have you tried your acetone trick yet? I bet you're excited to try that out, I know I would be.

Time to create page: 0.151 seconds