Nikon 50mm f/1.8 D lens to reduce flicker?

7 years 8 months ago
StopFramEmotion
More
Topic Author
Nikon 50mm f/1.8 D lens to reduce flicker? #719
UPDATE:

Received my Nikon 50mm f/1.8 D lens yesterday and shot a couple of stop-mo tests with it, using manual aperture set on lens ring...

Absolutely ZERO flicker in resulting footage! Seems I've found the perfect Nikon stop-motion lens for my D7000. I'm a very happy animator!! :-))

I can recommend this lens to any other Nikon shooters. First class glass and inexpensive brand new - I picked one up, brand new, on Ebay for 80 GBP (but make sure you get the *D* version with aperture ring on lens (not the G version which doesn't).

Chris

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

7 years 8 months ago
StopFramEmotion
More
Topic Author
Nikon 50mm f/1.8 D lens to reduce flicker? #713
Hi,

In order to reduce flicker (due to varying aperture), I'm considering buying the Nikkor 50mm 1.8 D lens. This lens is auto focus *but* does have a *physical aperture ring*. On my Nikon D7000 DSLR, an option in the custom menu allows me to set the aperture on the physical lens ring as opposed to the camera's command dial.

Basically, I want to know if this set up would give me the consistent aperture as per obtainable via AI lenses. The Nikkor 50mm D is a cheap and yet quality piece of glass and if it worked would be a fine investment for stop-motion.

If you've had any experience with this lens, or know others who have, your advice would be much appreciated, so I can decide if this would be a worthwhile purchase or not.

Thanks in anticipation - and HAPPY NEW YEAR! ;)
Chris

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.144 seconds