Characters on stages

7 years 7 months ago
Acer
More
Topic Author
Characters on stages #742
I dare to imagine. Going through my house for a spring clean, I found some fabrics that might do just the trick, I mean, it'll be stylised snow, but it'll look nice. Now all that's left is finding something for sand. I was thinking of shaved cardboard

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

7 years 7 months ago
animateclay
Administrator
Administrator
More
Characters on stages #741
Baking soda is one way to make snow that is realistic as well as cabosil powder. I think that's the name of it, it's like microscopic glass beads that are so small that it's just a powder. I've heard it's toxic to breathe though, so baking soda would be my pick. It's not a nice thing to animate though, one sneeze and it's all gone :P

7 years 7 months ago
Acer
More
Topic Author
Characters on stages #740
Thanks Marc! I was wondering if there were any alternatives to snow and sand as well? I imagine ruffled styrophome would work well for snow, and keep the clay relatively safe as well. In my imagination anyway. In the mean time, looks like I'll take the gumbi way out!

7 years 7 months ago 7 years 7 months ago by animateclay.
animateclay
Administrator
Administrator
More
Characters on stages #739
Hi Austin, snow and sand are tough to work with. If your puppets feet are clay, one thing you can do is cut out some thin cardboard in the same shape as the bottom of the feet. Stick them on for those shots and the clay won't get sandy. If they do you can always scrape out the sand and re-smooth the feet too.

If they fall into the snow, I would do like you say - maybe have a close-up shot of the puppets upper body and then they fall out of view of the camera. Then cut to the next shot where the puppet is already laying in the snow. That would be the easiest way to do it. The hard way would be to maybe use replacement puppets where each puppet is sliced thinner and thinner as it sinks into the snow. They used that trick in the Gumby films a lot. Here's what it looks like. Just jump to the 2 minute 30 second mark to see Gumby slide into a book.

7 years 7 months ago
Acer
More
Topic Author
Characters on stages #738
Here is a quick inquiry, and possibly my own resolution if and when I get that far.

I have two settings that I'm afraid might damage my clay figures. A snowy tundra, and a sandy desert. To keep the figures from having grains of artificial snow or sand in them till the end of time, what would you do? Or is the clay pretty resilient to this normally?

I was thinking Greenscreen stands for the characters to hover on, or some kind of stand whenever the characters' feet are out of view either way.

I do have a bit where someone falls into the snow, as well. Should I scrap this screen or have it out of view while focus jumps to other characters?

Time to create page: 0.182 seconds