Changing Animateclay.com Into Stopmotionmagic.com? Goals and Suggestions

More
3 weeks 5 days ago #1502 by animateclay
Hey everyone, there are some important things that I think we should address with our site. In the past three months or so it's gotten really quiet here. I think there are several reasons why that is, but first let me first mention why this site exists. There are several reasons:

1 - Educating people how stop motion is done through simple tutorials
2 - An outlet for people to ask questions and receive help
3 - A place to post finished projects (puppets/sets/tests etc) in order to get feedback, views or more exposure
4 - To read inspirational news about what is happening in the world of stop motion
5 - Challenge each other with our 5 week challenges to gain more experience and better our skills

So what happened? I think the main problem as of now is our site appears to be geared towards clay animators only. It has been this way for some time, but if you look at our previous challenge entries - it is always a mix of mediums. Some like clay, others modified toys, some are a mix of latex, fabric and other materials.

I think the Animateclay.com URL is part of the problem. Even though our site is for anyone interested in stop motion, first time visitors may not know that. I would like to use StopMotionMagic.com as our URL. A broader spectrum of people contributed while it was in use, especially older and more experienced animators to help the younger film makers.

Next, the look of the site should be more mature as right now it looks more like a kid friendly site. Not that this will ever change (as in kid-friendly), but more mature film makers may feel it's an inappropriate place to post their work. Here is our old Stopmotionmagic.com web site graphics and look:

What does everyone think of this old style? Should we go with that scheme or something similar?

I think if we resolve the site URL and look of the site, more people may contribute and become active in sharing their work.

Other areas of change may be with our challenges and forums. Should we just use the groups section on the main page for those and ditch the forums? Or get rid of the groups and have just the forums?

It's really up to us all to figure out what direction the site takes if we are to make it work. I definitely can't do it alone and would love to know what ideas everyone reading this has to say.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.436 seconds