Novice Animators - What's Your Biggest Challenge?

2 months 2 weeks ago
Film_Wabbit
More
Topic Author
Novice Animators - What's Your Biggest Challenge? #1834
Wilbro912, no, your animations aren't short and stupid, they are the way that you are learning your craft.

With each animation you complete you are practising your timing and spacing skills, your key poses, and your ability to tell a story through motion. It's easy to get discouraged when we compare our animations to people that have much more experience than ourselves, but you have to remember that their first animations were no better than yours or mine.

The only question you have to ask yourself is "Does this animation look better than my last one?" If the answer is "yes" then you are making progress even though it might not seem like it. If the answer is "no", then ask yourself what it is that you think you can improve. Sometimes our improvement is so slow that we don't notice that we are getting better, but compare the clip you made today with one you made last week, or last month, or last year and the you'll see how much better you are now than you were back then.

Wilbro912, don't get discouraged. Even animation you complete brings you one step closer to the great animator you want to be. One small improvement at a time, that's all it takes.

Looking forward to seeing your next clip!
Fredrick the Film Wabbit

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2 months 3 weeks ago
wilbro912
More
Novice Animators - What's Your Biggest Challenge? #1833
for me its making quality animations, mine are very short and stupid (not well planned out) i guess thats just how i am

2 months 3 weeks ago
Film_Wabbit
More
Topic Author
Novice Animators - What's Your Biggest Challenge? #1832
I agree, humour is a very difficult subject to portray in animation (or any type of film-making) and that's why a lot animators are more drawn to dark subjects, horror, gore, violence, gross-out, etc. I love Aardman Studios because they are the absolute masters in the humour genre. From Morph to Shaun the Sheep, they really know how to make me laugh. That's also why my favourite Laika Studio production is "Missing Link".

It's a lot easier to make people cry than it is to make them laugh, and that's why, for me, humour is the Higher Art.

Keep trying to make people laugh!

Fredrick

2 months 4 weeks ago
More
Novice Animators - What's Your Biggest Challenge? #1825
Making videos that are hilarious as well as animation masterpieces such as:
Attachments:

3 months 2 weeks ago
Film_Wabbit
More
Topic Author
Novice Animators - What's Your Biggest Challenge? #1821
Thank you, Mr_Force

Yes, I have read "The Illusion of Life", "The Animator's Survival Kit", and few other of the classic text but I'm having a difficult time translating the wealth of information in those books to my own animations. Most of those books are written from a drawn 2D animation perspective so I'm having a hard time applying those principals to animation that is done "straight ahead" and not reliant on keyframes.

I have not used reference videos so that's the next thing I'll try to understand movement better. I also don't use anything to pre-visualize the movement. I go straight from the storyboards to the blocking of the scene. Blocking is the way I try to "keyframe" the scene before do a take.

I've also come to appreciate how important the range of motion of the puppets is to the animation. I'm using wire armatures in my puppets but I think I made the armatures too thick because I'm having a heck of a time getting smooth arcs. Most of my animations suffer from the "jitters" and I often have to repeat a sequence 10 or 12 times before I get a useable couple of seconds.

Thank you for your advice and I'm going to try the video reference technique for my next scene.

Best regards,
Fredrick

3 months 2 weeks ago
Mr_Force
More
Novice Animators - What's Your Biggest Challenge? #1819
Lots of animators go through this as they learn the tricks of the trade, Straight ahead or pose to pose animation can be hard. have you read the book by Ollie Johnson and Frank Thomas The Illusion of Life? and Its OK to use reference videos like filming your self acting out the scene and referencing it as you animate. I use Blender to work out my scenes with simple models and objects this helps me also work out lighting and shadows.

moshi moshi

Time to create page: 0.167 seconds