Why Use Dedicated Stop-Motion Software?

More
2 years 9 months ago #839 by mad_hatter
mad_hatter created the topic: Why Use Dedicated Stop-Motion Software?
What are the biggest benefits of using dedicated stop-motion capture software (such as DragonFrame)? I assume most people use this kind of software, but, so far in my short time as a clay animator, I have not.

I shoot on my Canon 60D, on which I have installed Magic Lantern. This allows me to see a ghost image of the previous frame. Of course, I am framing within the tiny, 3-inch monitor of the camera itself, but, so far, this has been adequate. This also means I don’t have a large computer monitor spilling tons of light on to my set. I then upload these into my NLE (Sony Vegas) and work with them there.

Am I correct in thinking that Dragon Frame (and other capture software) only capture in HD; so roughly 2MP? Even if they can capture a higher resolution, wouldn’t the cameras output limit be the highest resolution it could capture (so in the case of the 60D, 1920x1080)? By taking photos in camera, my frames are being recorded at 18MP, so I have the ability, should I ever have the desire to, to edit and export at much higher resolutions. Film is now 4K (approx. 8MP), I expect TV will soon catch up. You can now upload to YouTube in 4K! Is there any 4K capture software out there? Does your camera need to output 4K for this to even work?

Am I missing something? Why do people use image capturing software? Is it simply for ease-of-use? Is my method more common than I give it credit for?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 9 months ago #843 by animateclay
animateclay replied the topic: Why Use Dedicated Stop-Motion Software?
Oh, you don't know what you're missing with Dragonframe. There are many tools in it to duplicate frames, delete frames, copy/paste them, reverse them, change all the camera settings without touching the camera, place markers on the screen, zoom-focus-checking, do your lip sync by importing audio.....tons of things. It also exports as a quick time .mov or .avi for editing. You can save your projects and come back to them etc. I can't say enough good things about it. The same goes for Stop Motion Pro Eclipse. It is similar to Dragonframe but a little more intuitive to use with their new layout. I guess it really depends on personal taste but I couldn't live without it now that I've got a copy.

More
2 years 9 months ago #846 by mad_hatter
mad_hatter replied the topic: Why Use Dedicated Stop-Motion Software?
Ha ha! Maybe it's something I'll investigate further then!

Am I right in thinking that you have to work with your cameras output though? So HD? It can't somehow read the full 18MP of the sensor? It'd be really nice to have those re-framing options available, without losing resolution.

More
2 years 9 months ago #848 by animateclay
animateclay replied the topic: Why Use Dedicated Stop-Motion Software?
You can even shoot RAW if you want to in Dragonframe from what I understand. I don't think that's an issue.

Time to create page: 0.226 seconds