A Lesson Learned...

More
3 years 2 months ago #840 by mad_hatter
So, today I tried my first piece of character animation. I was practicing making the character talk using replaceable mouths. Simple.

The actual animation went well; I learned quite a bit about how many frames i need for certain mouth shapes. Cool.

However, I lit the scene using a single light. It looked fine. But when I dropped the frames in to my editing software, suddenly I was faced with lots of flickering. It dawned on me that the way I'd positioned my light meant that it was catching my shadow to different degrees in each frame! Annoying!

However, that's a lesson learned. Next time I'll make sure I'm well out of the way!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 2 months ago #841 by mad_hatter
Replied by mad_hatter on topic A Lesson Learned...
Another day, another lesson learned. Well, a few actually!

I've learned that moving parts on clay puppets really do need armatures! I was trying to animate the arm of a puppet, who is seated. As he never stands, I tried to build him without an armature. It was useless. I spent around 2 hours to get 5 seconds of footage that ended up looking bad. I decided to fit an armature and within an hour, had rebuilt the puppet and shot the same 5 seconds of footage, but looking much nicer!

I also learned to check my focus very carefully, as those 5 seconds are ever so slightly out of focus. It's still usable though, especially considering this the first thing I've ever animated; I have the puppets hand in focus, rather than the item he's reaching for. Oh well.

Another thing I learned; despite the difficulties, claymation is a lot of fun!

More
3 years 2 months ago #844 by animateclay
Replied by animateclay on topic A Lesson Learned...
Cool posts Hatter. One thing a lot of stop mo animators do is wear dark shirts. You don't realize how sometimes light can bounce off a light colored shirt onto your puppets and sets - making lots of flicker. Sometimes animators squat down if your exposures are really long.

More
3 years 2 months ago #845 by mad_hatter
That's a good idea, wearing dark clothes. In hindsight, it probably was reflection that was causing my problems, as I'm fairly certain I wouldn't have been between the light source and my models.

Anyhow, I've still been working at it, and I've almost finished my first scene. It's only 30 seconds long, but I'm actually quite happy with how it's looking for a first effort! Can't wait to share it to get some feedback!

More
3 years 2 months ago #850 by mad_hatter
Another lesson has been learned over the last week.... I've learned to plan, plan, plan! Make decisions before you start shooting, otherwise you may find yourself re-shooting!

I had a character dressed in a yellow t-shirt. My animation was ok, but in the edit I decided I didn't like the yellow t-shirt. So I remodelled it to a grey shirt and re-shot it. I then decided I didn't like his bald head, so I gave him some hair and shot again! 2 days spent shooting a very simple 8 second animation!

Still, I'm learning, and I'm feeling as though I'm getting more efficient with everything I do.

Time to create page: 0.255 seconds