CLAY FISH PUPPET, large

More
1 year 5 months ago #1133 by Springtimejellyfish
Springtimejellyfish created the topic: CLAY FISH PUPPET, large
Hello!

I'm looking to make a large approx 12" clay fish puppet. I carved 4 balsa wood segments - 3 body segments and a tail and then connected them using twisted armature wire. Then I put couch foam inbetween each segment and wrapped the whole thing in a thin skin of latex. Then I covered it in clay. The puppet worked every step of the way until the clay was added - when the clay is thin it cracks very easily anywhere it is bent and when its thick its so difficult to move that the whole puppet becomes distorted from the pressure.

Any suggestions as to a better way of making a large fish puppet?

Thank You!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 5 months ago #1136 by animateclay
animateclay replied the topic: CLAY FISH PUPPET, large
Hmm, yes that is what will happen with clay. If you need something to be very flexible in clay - it's best to make it on rigid parts. Something like this wooden snake toy:

Then for the outer clay layer, leave the gaps in the sides - but have some fish scales to cover them on each segment. Then as it animates the scales can slide over the segments on either side of the fish, covering the cracks.

That is how I'd probably go about it. Or, make the fish very small and out of a solid piece of clay. Then it will bend a bit nicer than something larger which tends to crack and compress in a funny way. Don Carlsons Puppet Putty is one clay that flexes extremely well in situations like that. I highly recommend it. He's got a few videos out there showing how well it flexes.

More
1 year 5 months ago #1149 by Mr_Force
Mr_Force replied the topic: CLAY FISH PUPPET, large
If i was going to animate a clay body fish I would make real scales for the fish using thin plastic with wire in behind as a armature and put the clay on the out side. As you move the fish body you would bend the scales in and out so not to drag on the other scales. Sounds like a lot of work ;) Hope that gives you some ideas.

moshi moshi

More
1 year 5 months ago #1151 by Springtimejellyfish
Springtimejellyfish replied the topic: CLAY FISH PUPPET, large
Hey Guys-

Thanks for your responses! I ended up making the puppet out of clay in segments with the balsa wood underneath, similar to the wood snake design. It didn't come out quite as flexible as I hoped, but it did work.

Image attached.
Attachments:

More
1 year 5 months ago #1152 by animateclay
animateclay replied the topic: CLAY FISH PUPPET, large
Hey that fish turned out looking really nice. Did it animate well? It has to be a tough thing to animate with all those scales.

More
1 year 5 months ago #1153 by Springtimejellyfish
Springtimejellyfish replied the topic: CLAY FISH PUPPET, large
Thanks! It animated okay, it had less movement range than I had hoped for. The scene that it's in is really short.
You can see it here: vimeo.com/183590347/4eb37ccb87

Time to create page: 0.199 seconds