Puppet armature making issue(s)

More
1 year 6 months ago #1176 by Chronowaste
Chronowaste created the topic: Puppet armature making issue(s)
Hello,

First I think it's appropriate to say that I'm only a rookie in the stop motion art.

I'm actually trying, for my first ambitious project of a stop motion short movie, to make a fuctionnal puppet. The design is very simple, because I want it to be "unfinished, for the sake of my story. So it is basically going to be only a wire armature with a few elements here and here (head, foots...).

But I'm having more trouble that I initially tought I would face. I don't want to use any clay or any other similar material to cover my puppet, or to fix the parts together, only wire, eventually wood or plastic. So I can't really get the legs to hold to torso, and the torso to hold the arms properly.

It fall every time. I tried glue, tape, smaller wire but nothing do the job.

So here's my question : how can I make a proper minimalist wire body without using modeling clay ? I know how to make the different body parts with wire, but I fail to put them together.

Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 6 months ago #1178 by Mr_Force
Mr_Force replied the topic: Puppet armature making issue(s)
If you are going for minimal construction, Don't try to make them separately instead run the wires from bottom of the foot to the hand on one side, the same for the other side and 2 wires for the back to neck with them all twisted together up the back. Most of the time people use epoxy or wood/plastic to hold separate peaces together some times with wood screws. It would help if you had a pic of your puppet parts/size...

moshi moshi

More
1 year 6 months ago #1179 by Funky1
Funky1 replied the topic: Puppet armature making issue(s)
Check out the Home Depot armature thread a little further down

More
1 year 6 months ago #1181 by Chronowaste
Chronowaste replied the topic: Puppet armature making issue(s)
So, a little update of the situation.

After some failed attempt to make a full wire puppet, I bought a 12cm tall articulated wood mannequin that I dismembered to use the torso as a start, to have some stability and I used some small wood pieces to attach the wire arms and legs that I made to that torso.

It's working pretty fine, I still have to find a way to really anchor those to the torso, because even with the holes already in it, it's not quite stable, note sure how tought. But I'm pretty confident that I will work it out.

I will put some pictures later for you to see.

More
1 year 6 months ago #1185 by Chronowaste
Chronowaste replied the topic: Puppet armature making issue(s)
Alright some pictures :

Torso & Head wood pieces :

Assembled with wire limbs :

I have some issues with it tought. I can't get it to stand up without falling. I've tried those two sets of feets, but none of them give it a good balance, it always fall eventually.

More
1 year 6 months ago #1186 by Mr_Force
Mr_Force replied the topic: Puppet armature making issue(s)
looks like you will have trouble with the wires where they go through the wooden parts. You will need to use epoxy or some kind of glue to keep the wires from twisting in the wood. its not alway easy to keep the wires attached. Also you will need to use a Rig to hold the puppet up or Tie Downs in the feet. Tie downs are like a small nut used to bolt the puppets foot down to stage floor. The link below shows you about tiedowns.

Here is an old link from the site with Marc going over the basics of a wire pupper armature. Hope it helps.

moshi moshi

Time to create page: 0.205 seconds