Puppet armature making issue(s)

More
1 year 3 months ago #1188 by Chronowaste
Chronowaste replied the topic: Puppet armature making issue(s)
No, I'm not having any issues with the wire, they're attached perfectly to the wooden parts. I'm having issue with the balance needed so that my puppet can stand without falling.

I'm curious about those tie downs tought, because I can't find any pieces to make decent feet combining look and balance.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 3 months ago #1189 by Funky1
Funky1 replied the topic: Puppet armature making issue(s)
The illusion of balance is just that, an illusion. Except with the simplest of puppets, we use tie downs or support rigs.

For tie downs, you need to have some kind of a nut or other threaded device (I like to use t-nuts available at any hardware store, though you may have to shorten it). Then drill a hole in your stage as your character moves about it. Then insert a bolt and wing nut from underneath the stage to secure the puppet to the stage.

If this doesn't give you the desired results, you will have to support the puppet from above or the side.

First, obviously, you have to create your support (rig).

Second, light and arrange your stage with everything except the puppet.

Third, take a picture. You will have to do this every time you move your camera.

Fourth, shoot your scenes.

Fifth, you will have to remove the rig from your pictures. You do this by cutting it out of every picture. Then you overlay that on top of the picture you took without the puppet to make a composite picture. (There are several different software programs that help with this). Then save the picture.

More
1 year 2 months ago - 1 year 2 months ago #1191 by Chronowaste
Hey, sorry for the delay of my answer. Thanks for your enlightenment, been really helpful ! :)

For some reasons, I can't use the first method you gave me, the main reason being I'm not using a stage for my entire movie, only at the beginning, for the second part, I'll be moving my character on the bare ground. And the stage I made for the beginning isn't flat so...

I thought about the second method, it might just work, but for the support, i need obsiouly either to have a counterweight attached to the puppet by some way I can't yet figure, or use some sort of stick tied to my puppet body to keep her steady, right ?

How could I realise that exactly ?
Last Edit: 1 year 2 months ago by Chronowaste.

More
1 year 2 months ago #1192 by Funky1
Funky1 replied the topic: Puppet armature making issue(s)
You can try using something like this

HFS (Tm) Magnetic Base Adjustable Metal Test Indicator Holder Digital Level 14" - Tool Stand www.amazon.com/dp/B00L5T2ZA8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_ThXoybX0V6QZD

You will probably need to attach it to a heavy steel plate for stability
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chronowaste

More
1 year 2 months ago #1193 by Mr_Force
Mr_Force replied the topic: Puppet armature making issue(s)
Hello Again So I have yet another UT link for you to look at based on a wooden and wire puppet (2014) with a sample of rigging and the software needed to clean up the frames. The Magnet base Does work good as a rigging base and is used in stopmotion. I don't think you want to have rigging out in the open on stage but unless you use fine hair like wire to support you puppets I don't see an easier way.

moshi moshi
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chronowaste

More
1 year 2 months ago #1194 by Chronowaste
Alright, I see now what I have to do to make that work.And about the softwares no worries, I already have some advanced notions on image editing (that's what I went into design school for :lol: ).

Might be delayed a bit because I was making a second puppet after the first one with different angles for the legs to make movements easier, but I broke a wooden piece while making a hole in it. But I'll get to it !

Time to create page: 0.184 seconds