Talking Sandwich Mixed Media?

More
1 year 4 months ago - 1 year 4 months ago #1221 by clubsandwich
clubsandwich created the topic: Talking Sandwich Mixed Media?
Hey everyone! I've been trying to figure out how to create a realistic talking sandwich - in the sense that it looks physically real - for a few months now. Originally, I thought I would cut the bread thick enough to manipulated it with fingers, like a hand puppet. However, once I rewatched the Florida Orange juice commercials from the late '90s, I really wanted to mimic the quality of articulation they pull off.

My question is how do you think they pulled this off? Is this stop motion, claymation, and puppetry combined? The bread and toppings look real to me except the olives appear to be clay, I assume. The way the bread moves makes me question it's realness though.

Can anyone give me some insight or tips to attempt this?
Last Edit: 1 year 4 months ago by clubsandwich.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 4 months ago #1222 by animateclay
animateclay replied the topic: Talking Sandwich Mixed Media?
Hey Clubsandwich, that there is a real sandwich. There's no animation in it, just old fashioned camera angles and hidden devices under it. Most likely the plate has a few holes drilled in it. There's probably a hinge of sorts towards the back. Maybe fishing line tying the crust back there together. A simple stick pushing up through the bottom would be all that's needed. A few of them would give you more articulation. You could even use fishing line from above like a marionette to do something similar. That would be my guess, it's a bit easier to do that than to do it in stop motion. Animating and making fake bread would be really tough.

More
1 year 4 months ago #1225 by clubsandwich
clubsandwich replied the topic: Talking Sandwich Mixed Media?
Thanks for the response! I found a great website today that specializes in making fake food and I've reached out to them. Are you sure you there is no animation in this? How do you think they manipulated the eyes? I agree that puppetry would be much easier than trying to use stop motion. I'll definitely take your advice and rig the sandwich with plate and sticks.

More
1 year 4 months ago #1227 by animateclay
animateclay replied the topic: Talking Sandwich Mixed Media?
Hey Club, I think the eyes are just olives on some sticks that someone twists underneath using a little rig. I don't think there is any stop motion at all in it. Still it's cool that you're working on something like this. Feel free to post your results when you're done.

Time to create page: 0.169 seconds