How to animate a change in skin complexion?

More
3 weeks 1 day ago #1356 by Mr_Force
Mr_Force replied the topic: How to animate a change in skin complexion?
Hello David

I’d make a test-pilot and try different lighting affects first to see is if different shades of blues, purples and grays to light blue, yellows and orange will give your scene that dark to cheery feel your looking for, first. Shadows can go a long way to add to the feel as well. This all depends on your camera and lights and can be tricky sometimes. Under-lit scenes can make for a Grainy video.

Lighting cost all most nothing to try before working on a set of puppets painted differently to simulate their emotions with colors. I would try to save the ( post color correction for things like making your production look and feel like film or to correct errors in lighting to save on re-shooting a scene and instead use gels with real lights for this type of character emotions. This is why I like stopmotion sets over cgi, real lights, their shadows and reflections makes the feel totally different and hard to Simulate on the computer.

Replacement parts will also be a good choice to follow up on if Lights will not be good enough. You
will most likely want to use a bit of both maybe and it sounds like you are going too.

So the best thing for you to try first is some real test shots even if you don’t have the puppets made be you can print them out and set them up on a rough stage as cutouts and play with the lights. RGB Led lights can be easily adjusted frame by frame too.

moshi moshi
The following user(s) said Thank You: David81L

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 weeks 1 day ago #1357 by David81L
David81L replied the topic: How to animate a change in skin complexion?
Oh that's great! I hadn't even thought about using practical lighting to change the color of the skin tone for some reason. The only thing is that the environment around the character is supposed to remain the same. I'm worried that other things will become enlightened. It is just the character who is blue that turns to gold. So I feel like lighting just him specifically would be difficult. For ex, I want to show a shot of his hand going from blue to tan against the white snow.

And thanks for suggesting test shots! lol That will definitely save time.

More
3 weeks 20 hours ago #1358 by animateclay
animateclay replied the topic: How to animate a change in skin complexion?
Have you considered painting the clay? You could get a close-up of your hand and arm - and paint just the tip of the fingers, then the whole fingers, then the palm and son on until it's one color. Then as moshi mentioned - perhaps have a second puppet that is the whole color already as a replacement. I think with paint you can control a lot, you just have to make sure the color changes into the same tan color as your clay.

More
2 weeks 5 days ago #1359 by David81L
David81L replied the topic: How to animate a change in skin complexion?
I was considering painting it! But I wasn't sure if I would be able to get that glowing effect. Kind of like this giphy.com/gifs/heart-heartbeat-6UsPdACZamjok

More
2 weeks 5 days ago #1360 by Mr_Force
Mr_Force replied the topic: How to animate a change in skin complexion?
Well looks like you may have to use software to get the effect your looking for. I would try using one of my Projectors I use for 3d Projecting to digitally paint right on the puppet and even animate it frame by frame with every where else Blacked out. but not every one can setup such lighting on their stage. Painting as you go frame by frame may work too like Marc suggested.

I hope to see the results.

Later/Fun
Mr_force

moshi moshi

More
2 weeks 2 days ago - 2 weeks 1 day ago #1361 by animateclay
animateclay replied the topic: How to animate a change in skin complexion?
Have you considered lighting it from the inside with an LED connected to a wire and power source? It might be possible to do that with clay, but you'd have to experiment a bit. I used to use an old train transformer that you can vary the output in small increments. That way you can animate it slowly getting brighter.
Last Edit: 2 weeks 1 day ago by animateclay.
The following user(s) said Thank You: David81L

Time to create page: 0.382 seconds