How to animate a change in skin complexion?

More
2 weeks 2 days ago - 2 weeks 1 day ago #1361 by animateclay
animateclay replied the topic: How to animate a change in skin complexion?
Have you considered lighting it from the inside with an LED connected to a wire and power source? It might be possible to do that with clay, but you'd have to experiment a bit. I used to use an old train transformer that you can vary the output in small increments. That way you can animate it slowly getting brighter.
Last Edit: 2 weeks 1 day ago by animateclay.
The following user(s) said Thank You: David81L

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 weeks 20 hours ago #1362 by David81L
David81L replied the topic: How to animate a change in skin complexion?
I actually did consider this too. And I actually have been looking for that kind of lighting you can change by small increments for various other effects (like stars and glistening pond water under moonlight). I think the problem with this idea came when I wasn't sure how I would make it look like his skin was changing hue/tint as well. This might be a better representation, except I would be going for something way less dramatic. markb4.files.wordpress.com/2014/03/angry-hades.gif

More
2 weeks 12 hours ago #1363 by animateclay
animateclay replied the topic: How to animate a change in skin complexion?
Ah, okay. You know there's one way I can think of to do this, but it would require casting your puppet in translucent silicone. You could shine colored lasers behind the silicone and animate the lights moving - so there would be no internal lighting of LED's. But - that could get fairly complicated and expensive to do. You'd most likely need to paint the surface as well with the original color of your character - and the lights would need to be bright and glow enough to where the surface pigment isn't noticeable.

One other way would be to cast your character in clay (or whatever initial material you wanted) and also as a second character in translucent resin which you wouldn't need to animate. Just photograph both in the same pose so you can slowly erase (using photoshop/krita) the front layer, revealing the back lit puppet layer. If that makes sense.
The following user(s) said Thank You: David81L

More
1 week 5 days ago #1364 by David81L
David81L replied the topic: How to animate a change in skin complexion?
Ah I see what you mean. My character would be moving while the color is spreading throughout his body though. (Bringing his hand up to his face and changing expressions.) I'll play around with some of these ideas! I'm not sure if this would end up being too complex, but I may make two puppets, one cool tone and one warm tone. Using after effects or other software, I'd change the color of the cool tone puppet to match the warm tone puppet. So basically I'd animate the wave of light and skin flushing in a software. (Not sure how hard this will be or if I'll even be able to get the digital skin tone to match the actual warm tone puppet). After the character's transformation, I'd replace the cool tone puppet with the warm tone puppet for the rest of the animation.

Time to create page: 0.246 seconds